VACANCY NOTICE VB/14-822: Accounting/Finance Officer
If you are a committed and creative individual and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Sierra Leoneans for consideration to the following post:
Post: Accounting/Finance Officer
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Duty Station: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Date Required: Immediately
Duration: 1 year (with possibility of extension)
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Operations, assists in the area of accounting control, recording, reporting of assets, liabilities and income. Monitors the appropriate disbursements of funds and payments of accounts in accordance with the rules, regulations and established budgetary limits.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Controls and operates bank accounts in accordance with UN/UNICEF financial rules and regulations and local banking practices.
- Provides up-to-date information on the cash position or status of such accounts.
- Reconciles bank statements, keeps abreast of all procedures and regulations regarding the maintenance of bank accounts, exchange and interest rates, etc.
- Certifies the appropriate, accurate and timely processing and recording of disbursements and payments, (e.g., MIP, travel claims, pension fund, insurance, advances to government), in accordance with established rules, regulations and systems and within budgetary limits. Also ensures recovery of advances and accounts receivable.
- Monitors financial transactions and accounting reports, and reconciliation of accounts, to ensure accurate and up-to-date financial information.
- Prepares required reports and statements for the Head of Office and HQ.
- Manages Vision system, provides training and orientation to staff on its use and coordinates with EDP on technical adjustments or irregularities to meet local conditions.
- Supervises timely maintenance of computerized accounting and finance system.
- Controls petty cash fund, disbursements, recording and accounting.
- Reviews budget expenditures by codes against approved allotments, and verifies compliance with reports received from HQs.
- Prepares and analyzes financial data for budget estimates and financial planning.
- Briefs the staff on the application and interpretation of UN/UNICEF accounting and financial rules, regulations, procedures and policies.
- Undertakes visits to sub-offices to provide accounting and finance training and support, establishes and/reviews systems and procedures for compliance with the rules and regulations, and prepares reports and recommendations.
- Responsible for the safekeeping of cash and cheques.
NOTE: UNICEF IS A SMOKE-FREE ENVIRONMENT
UNICEF is committed to diversity and gender equality in its workplace. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
Qualification and Skills:
Education: University degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
Work Experience: Three years of professional work experience in finance and accounting. Experience in an international organization desirable.
Language: Fluency in English. Knowledge of Krio or other local languages essential.
Other Competencies & Skills:
- Good judgment, initiative, high sense of responsibility, organization and analytical skills.
- Supervisory ability.
- Ability to conduct training.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
Applications should be forwarded under confidential cover marked “Application VB/14822 ACCOUNTING/FINANCE OFFICER” complete with an up-to-date C.V. and names and email addresses of two referees (non- relatives) to reach the Chief of Operations, UNICEF, Central Medical Stores Compound, New England, Freetown on or before Monday 7 April 2014.
Applications can also be sent to: email@example.com.When sending to this mailbox, please ensure that “Application VB/14-822Accounting/Finance Officer” is quoted on the subject line.
UNICEF is a smoke-free environment.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
The Personal History Form (P11) in MS Word format can be downloaded from our website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_53129.html
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please note that acknowledgement of application will be extended only to short-listed candidates.
© 2014, https:. All rights reserved.