Juvenile found dead at Remand Home
A fifteen year old juvenile delinquent, Emmanuel Milton, was on Wednesday 23rd June found dead in his cell at the Remand Home, Kingtom. The cause of death has not been known, and can only be ascertained by a coroner inquest.
The Asst. Supt. in charge of the home, when questioned about the incident, said the officer on duty was in the best position to explain.
“I ensured that all inmates were in their cells before I left the previous evening. So I cannot tell exactly tell what happened” said Asst. Supt.
He continued that it was difficult for him to monitor the home because his official residence was being occupied by a Probation Officer of the Ministry of Social Welfare.
“I have complained about this constraint to the authorities but nothing has been done”, he said.
Also to be questioned are the co-inmates of the deceased, as there are speculations that he had been strangled to death.
A major constraint facing the correctional remand home is lack of adequate correctional personnel. There is always only one prison officer at night, which poses a serious challenge.
“Let us say that the duty officer heard a quarrel among the inmates and wanted to find out and resolve the problem, he would need to open the cell and that can lead to escape as one man cannot fight a dozen”, said an officer.
There had been many deaths at the remand home caused by illness, but the death of Emmanuel Milton is different as he did not complain illness. If it is proved that Emmanuel died by strangulation, his co-inmates will be investigated and if any of them is found guilty he will spend additional period at the Approved School as juveniles are not subject to the death penalty.
By Amadi Abadi
Stay with Sierra Express Media, for your trusted place in news!
© 2021, https:. All rights reserved.