As ACC begs for lack of evidence Momoh Konte gets hero’s crowd
The adjourned trial of Momoh Kemoh Konte in the now infamous Aljazeera ‘timbergate’ documentary resumed hearing for the second time in the Freetown High Court No.1 presided over by Justice Abdulai H. Charm on Monday May 21, 2012.
The trial began with a roll-call of jurors available in his court following issuance of a bench warrant for those absent as he said the warrant was meant to teach them a lesson on how they should respect their sacred duties.
Everybody in the jam-packed court-room was expecting fireworks from the prosecution and defense attorneys but were surprised on seeing the opposite as the prosecution team bowed to beg yet another time to have their evidence ready on the issue before the next adjournment date of June 4.
Mr. Momoh Konte’s defense attorney, Lawyer Sulaiman Kabba Koroma made a first application on behalf of his client seeking clearance for him to travel out of jurisdiction during the adjournment as it is proven that his client has been complying with the demands of the High Court ever since his trial commenced.
Mr. Konte, as usual was immaculately dressed in a hand tailored suit, a dress shirt with cuff-links to match, flanked by traditional rulers and other interest groups from Koinadugu District.
The disappointment of the Koinaduguian chiefs was complete when the senior prosecutors of the Anti Corruption Commission (ACC) got up to tamely ask for another adjournment of the case in which Momoh Konte was appearing.
A month earlier this same team had asked the honorable court to grant an adjournment for the prosecution to prepare its evidence against Momoh Konte before they showed up on May 21st. Up to the time of our going to press no such evidence was available.
Speaking to Sierra Express Media, spokesperson for the traditional rulers of Koinadugu District affirmed their support for Momoh Konte saying they are with him at all times no matter what.
The spokesman confirmed that Mr. Konte’s generosity can be seen all over Koinadugu District and as far as they are concerned, somebody is yet to produce evidence linking him to any malfeasance. The Union guys and the youths were also obviously agitated but one could sense their firm unflinching support for their patron and mentor.
The stinging tail in this saga remains that the prosecution is the one fighting to wriggle out of a tight corner.
In an interview with Mr. Momoh Konte for his comment on the second adjournment, he said no evidence was available to have his defense team prepared for their second encounter with the court. He said six weeks after the hasty press conference at which the Commissioner of the ACC indicted them on seven counts under the Anti-Corruption Act, he still could not avail them evidence for the matter to thrive on in court.
Stay with Sierra Express Media, for your trusted place in news!
© 2012 – 2020, https:. All rights reserved.