SLP Lies… 8 Not 17 Arrested!
Revelations surrounding the alleged re-arrest of 17 escaped inmates of Central Prison by the Sierra Leone police yesterday proved deceit shortly after 8 appeared before Magistrate Wellington of court II to answer to charges of escape and conspiracy to escape from lawful custody.
It could be recalled that senior police officers including IG Francis Munu, dishonestly told journalists that 17 of the 19 escaped prisoners have been re-arrested and are on the verge to be charged to court.
Little wonder though that only 8 escapees appeared before Magistrate Wellington of court II to answer to two counts of conspiracy to escape lawful custody and escape from lawful custody.
Persons so far charged are, Emmanuel Charlie, Abdulai Jalloh, Abdul Kanu, Paul Ochechukwu, Henyi Chuk, Mohamed Koroma, Mohamed Kamara and Abubakarr Conteh.
In an interview with the Director of CID, Chief Superintendent Suluku Conteh, he told this press that of 17 persons so far arrested, only 8 have been identified by prison administrators as escapees.
He however noted that the police will intensify its effort in the search for the yet to be found escapees.
Public’s perception condemns police woes of lies and incompetence to put to cordon ‘hard core’ criminals.
Sources say the number of escapees outweighs 19 as has been reported by the police.
Facts as told say the escaped criminals have been engaging mobile phones of police officers as if on jolly extravaganza.
It has reached this press that escapees have been attacking homes of defenseless citizens at Kissy, terrorizing them of hard earned valuables.
As a way of covering their lies, the police also stimulated charges against 78 persons alleged to have involved in riotous conduct past Sunday.
All 78 accused where refused bail and remanded in custody pending the trial.
Magistrate Wellington, while addressing lawyers representing respective accused, disclosed he will not grant bail to any of the 78 accused as offences against them are serious and warrants precedent.
5 lawyers pleaded for bail, citing portion in the criminal procedure act of 1965, but were rejected on grounds what the Magistrate had called as ‘very serious offences’ against all accused persons.
Magistrate Wellington however told lawyers defending all 78 accused that on the next adjourned date he will consider bail request.
The matter was adjourned to the 15th.
Stay with Sierra Express Media, for your trusted place in news!
© 2010, https:. All rights reserved.