Notice of Vacant Positions – i) Environmental Advisor- Rail Operations ii) Hydrogeologist (Tonkolili Mine)
AFRICAN MINERALS (SL) LIMITED has vacancy for an Environmental Advisor- Rail Operations
This position is open to qualified Sierra Leoneans, and women in particular are strongly encouraged to apply. The deadline for the submission of all applications is on Monday, 10th February, 2014. This role will report to the Environmental Superintendent and will be based at Pepel site with frequent travel to Tonkolili.
As part of African Minerals Limited commitment to provide environmental support and advisory service along the rail operations, the company aims to ensure our Tonkolili Irion ore project activities is comply with the relevant environmental legislation, standard and guidelines.
The Environmental Advisor will be responsible to provide management support and services associated with environmental management.
The successful applicant will be required to undertake the under mentioned duties:
- Provide guidance to all AML staff and contractors in order to achieve environmental objectives and targets as per company environmental management plan.
- Develop, implement and maintain monitoring programs along the rail corridor.
- Conduct inspections along the rail corridor and all associated operation between Pepel and Tonkolili.
- Responsible for the rehabilitation of borrow pits and Spoils along the rail corridor.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the environmental Management System to the rail operation team and associated contractors.
- Provide close supervision of labours and contractors to ensure all tasks are undertaken on time, in an efficient and safe manner.
- Provide a weekly, monthly report on the environmental programs along the rail corridor.
- Undertake environmental incident investigations along the rail corridor and ensure all recommendations are actioned and closed on time.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish relationships at all levels of the organisation.
- Document formatting skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Innovative thinking and ability to solve problems.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Environmental Management/Science Degree or equivalent tertiary qualification.
- Knowledge of environmental management systems.
- Knowledge of environmental management processes and applicable legislation.
- Knowledge of environmental impact assessment processes.
- Knowledge of environmental monitoring programmes.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- 2-5 years’ experience in environmental management.
Mode of Application
Qualified applicants are required to send their CV and Cover Letter including photocopies of all relevant qualification online to firstname.lastname@example.org (Marked ‘Attention: Port and Rail Operations Recruitment) or by post to the Recruitment Team, Port and Rail Operations, African Mineral (SL) Ltd, 154, Wilkinson Road, Freetown, or by hand delivery to the AML employment office at Pepel.
Only Shortlisted applicants will be contacted, and the successful applicant will be required for an immediate start.
This position is open to qualified Sierra Leoneans, and qualified women are especially encouraged to apply. The deadline for all applications is 11/02/2014
This role will report to the Senior Hydrogeologist and will be based at the Tonkolili project site.
The Hydrogeologist is responsible for a wide range of company activities, with particular emphasises on mining operations.
Strong skills in applied hydrogeology are required to undertake and manage all aspects of operational dewatering, mine site water supply and major site investigation programs including water resource investigations, mining hydrogeology evaluations, hydro ecology and environment impact assessments.
The Hydrogeologist will support the Senior Hydrogeologist in developing and managing a strong water management team. The hydrogeologist will lead the water management team during roster changes and be responsible for management of contractors, junior staff and the continuation of works in the absence of the Senior Hydrogeologist
Specifically, the Hydro geologist will be responsible for:
- Work within a multidisciplinary team (hydro geologists, consultants, mine operational staff, Mine Planning engineers, Modellers, and Project Engineers)
- Provide support to the mine planning department to ensure adherence to the mine schedule
- Provide support to the Senior Hydro geologist in planning and execution of short term and long term departmental goals and objectives.
- Plan and execute field programs for groundwater studies
- Undertake investigation and analysis of hydrogeological systems to provide practical and pragmatic solutions for the operations, projects and community teams
- Design and implementation of mine dewatering system
- Prepare and write technical reports, prepare proposals and presentations as necessary
- Provide professional hydrogeological support for a wide range of projects including mine dewatering, water supply and environmental management.
- Geological logging of samples and production of bore logs.
- Field water quality measurements and instrument calibration.
- Collation of survey, mapping and SWL data to produce hydrographs and water levels contours for the mining deposits and other investigation areas.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to junior level staff and Field Technicians
- Ensure compliance with environmental legislation and keep up to date with technological and legislative developments
Minimum working experience
Qualifications and skills
The Hydro geologist will require knowledge, skills and experience in the following areas:
- BSc in Earth Sciences or related subject, with post graduate qualifications in hydrogeology or groundwater engineering from a recognised tertiary institution
- Fluent verbal and written English
- MS Office
- Proficient in use of various GIS software and database packages
- Proficient in pumping tests analysis and borefield design
- Proficient in establishment and running of groundwater models
- Proficient in use of MS Access or SQL database is preferred
- Practical and pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Strong personality that can work independently
- Excellent presentation, communication and report writing skills (English)
- Demonstrate ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work unsupervised
- A minimum of 5 years operational mine water management experience
- Demonstrable experience in designing and implementing hydrogeological investigations, analysing data, and developing conceptual models
- Project and contract management experience
- Field experience in designing, drilling and placement of monitoring wells, piezometers and extraction wells
- Field experience in techniques of pumping tests and data acquisition
- Field experience in groundwater sampling and analysis
- Experience in performing and analysing aquifer hydraulic tests
- Experience in design and construction of water wells
Applicants with the correct experience required for the post, are encouraged to forward application letters to the Recruitment Team – Tonkolili, addressed to the HR Manager – Tonkolili Iron Ore Mine, African Minerals (SL) Ltd, or by email sent to email@example.com
Only Shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
© 2014, https:. All rights reserved.