Recruitment of a Project Assistant:EIF-NIU
Position: Project Assistant
Organisational Unit: Enhanced Integrated Framework-National Implementation Unit, (EIF-NIU), Ministry of Trade and Industry, Sierra Leone
Duty Station: Freetown, Sierra Leone with occasional travel to the Provinces
Type of Contract: LDC Government Execution/ EIF Trust Fund
Duration: February/March 2014-July 2015
Sierra Leone successfully accessed Tier 1 funding under the Enhanced Integrated Framework (EIF) in 2009 and put in place a National Implementation Arrangement (NIA) comprising of the National Steering Committee, the EIF Donor Facilitator, the EIF Focal Point and the National Implementation Unit (NIU), which is housed in the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI). The main objective of the EIF TIER 1 project is to enhance in-country capacity to formulate and implement trade related policies and development strategies geared towards promoting Sierra Leone`s competitiveness in the global market.
The NIA is to assist the Government in achieving the following objectives of the EIF programme:
- Enhancing sufficient institutional and management in-country capacity to formulate and implement trade related strategies and implementation plans.
- Mainstreaming trade into the national development strategies and plans.
- Improving coordination in the delivery of trade-related resources by donors and implementing entities to implement country priorities following adoption of the Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS) Action Matrix.
- Securing resources in support of initiatives that address DTIS Action Matrix priorities.
The Ministry of Trade and Industry has secured a Phase II extension of the Tier 1 Project for a further two (2) years to build on the progress that have been made towards achieving the project outcomes, and to put in place mechanisms for sustainability when the EIF funding phases out.
In order to ensure Sierra Leone is able to maximize benefits from the EIF programme, the Ministry of Trade and Industry is seeking the services of a qualified Sierra Leonean to fill the position of Project Assistant in the EIF National Implementation Unit to move the in-country process forward.
Under the overall supervision of the EIF Focal Point, the Project Assistant will work with senior NIU staff and EIF partners, assisting with the effective in-country delivery of the EIF process. He/She will be expected to contribute to the EIF process in a conceptually innovative manner and will identify priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions to achieve the EIF goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Assistant shall assist in providing administrative, programmatic and communication support to the NIU.
Specifically, the Project Assistant shall
- Carry out administrative activities of the Unit;
- Support organisation of all EIF related missions, workshops and meetings;
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of the EIF communication plan and programmes;
- Assist in organizing awareness raising and sensitization programmes among ministries, private sector, civil society on the relationship between trade, economic growth, and poverty reduction;
- Assist in organizing media coverage and arrange for media contacts, briefings, interviews;
- Assist in organizing seminars, lectures, conferences, public events on major issues and events concerning the EIF;
- Assist the Economist in dissemination of the DTIS Update;
- Assist the Programme Officer in dissemination of all EIF related publications;
- Liaise with line institutions to undertake participatory activities to support project formulation and design;
- Participate in the formulation, design, approval and implementation of Tier 2 projects
- Lead on updating of the database on the implementation of the DTIS Action Matrix.
- Assist in the capacity building drive of the Ministry of Trade and Industry as may be requested by the Coordinator, the Permanent Secretary and the Minister.
- Assist in the preparation of the PRSP to ensure that trade is mainstreamed into the PRSP and sectoral strategies;
- Any other administrative/technical task as directed.
Professionalism: Good understanding of operational and administrative procedures especially related to programme administration; ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
Communication: Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively; openness to information sharing.
Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Planning and Organization: Demonstrated organisational skills and ability to establish priorities. Ability to plan and coordinate own work with minimum supervision and to work under pressure.
- A first degree in the social sciences, administration, economics or related field. An advanced degree with the requisite experience in project administration would be an advantage.
Work experience and skills:
- 3 years of experience in project administration, communication and organising relevant events.
- Experience in working on private sector, trade and development issues in a LDC context is highly desirable.
- Experience in working with LDC Governments and the wider development community is highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and proficient use of Microsoft Office software packages is essential.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and programmes for data analysis.
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential.
- Fluency in Sierra Leonean Krio is desirable.
A competitive remuneration will be offered.
Expected interview date: Week starting 20 January 2014
Expected start date: February/March 2014
An up-to-date CV and cover letter would be required. The CV should not be more than 3 A4 pages long including two referees and their contact details, one of which must be your most recent employer. The cover letter (also not more than 3 A4 pages) should detail how you meet the above criteria.
The application should be submitted to the Senior Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Trade and Industry, 6th Floor Youyi Building, Brookfields, Freetown, Sierra Leone. The envelope should be clearly marked: Application for Position of EIF Project Assistant. Alternatively, you can submit the application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a COPY to email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of application is Monday, 13 January 2014. Applications received after this date will NOT be considered.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted and required to bring in ORIGINALS of RELEVANT certificates to the interview.
If you require further information on the EIF Programme please contact the Ministry of Trade and Industry or visit www.enhancedif.org.Sierra Leone Government Ministry of Trade and Industry Enhanced Integrated Framework National Implementation Unit (EIF-NIU) 6th Floor Youyi Building, Freetown, Sierra Leone
© 2013, https:. All rights reserved.