FCC Mayor, Chief Admin + 8 others indicted on corruption charges
The Anti-Corruption Commission has today 28th November 2011 filed in the High Court of Freetown a twenty five (25) count indictment against the Mayor of the Freetown City Council, the Chief Administrator and eight (8) others on various corruption offences ranging from:
Conspiracy to commit Corruption Offences in the sum of Le744,450,000 (Seven Hundred and Forty Four Million, Four Hundred and Fifty Thousand Leones) relating to a two-day Morgan Heritage Concert;
Misappropriation of Public Funds to the tune of Le1,047,216,300 and USD$19,000 (One Billion and Forty Seven Million, two Hundred and Sixteen Thousand, Three Hundred Leones) and (Nineteen Thousand United States Dollars);
Failure to comply with applicable rules and guidelines relating to the Procurement of Contract for services involving the sum of US165,000 ( One Hundred and Sixty Five Thousand United States Dollars);
Failure to pay (“PAYE”) Taxes amounting to Le430,412,432 (Four Hundred and Thirty Million, Four Hundred and twelve Thousand, Six Hundred and Forty Two Leones) being monies deducted from Employees Salaries that were not paid over to the NRA;
Failure to pay NASSIT Contributions in the sum of Le76,123,246.20 (Seventy Six Million, One Hundred and Twenty Three Thousand, Two Hundred and Forty Six Leones, Twenty Cents) being monies deducted from Employees Salaries that were not paid over to NASSIT, amongst others.
The ten accused persons are:
1. Herbert Akieremi George-Williams – Mayor, Freetown City Council
2. Bowenson Frederick Phillips – Chief Administrator, Freetown City Council
3. Arthur Kwesi-John – Deputy Chief Administrator, Freetown City Council
4. Sylvester Momoh Konnehi – Acting City Treasurer
5. Desmond Thomas – Head of Cashier’s Office – Freetown City Council
6. Franklyn Garber – Senior Engineer, Freetown City Council
7. Alimamy Turay – Municipal Trade Officer – Freetown City Council
8. Nimata Bendu –Former Finance Officer – Lumley Government Hospital
9. Aiah Brimah, Development Planning Officer – Freetown City Council
10. Mohamed Allie Shaaban – Business Man operating as “Waka Fast” Construction and General Services.
All ten persons will be arraigned before the High Court in Freetown on the 5th of December 2011.
Meanwhile, the Mayor, Herbert Akieremi George-Williams and the Chief Administrator, Bowenson Frederick Phillips, have both been served with copies of the Indictment and put on bail in the sum of Le500,000,000 (Five Hundred Million Leones) and two Sureties to be Property Owners in the Western Area of Freetown.
The Commission wishes to reassure the general public of its continued resolve in the fight against corruption in Sierra Leone.
Stay with Sierra Express Media, for your trusted place in news!
© 2011, https:. All rights reserved.