Notice of Vacant Position – Small Business Advisor
AFRICAN MINERALS (SL) LIMITED has a vacancy for: Small Business Advisor
This position is open to qualified Sierra Leoneans, and women in particular are strongly encouraged to apply. The deadline for the submission of all applications is Saturday, 1st February, 2014. This role will report to the Manager – Sustainable Development and will be based at Pepel site with frequent travels to Tonkolili.
As part of African Minerals Limited commitment to Sustainable Development, the company aims to be a catalyst to promote socio-economic development in the communities impacted by the Tonkolili Iron Ore project. AML will facilitate and support small businesses, community cooperatives, skills training and will form guaranteed buy-back schemes for appropriate community produce.
The Small Business Advisor will be responsible for creating, supporting, mentoring and training small businesses and community cooperatives to ensure that affected communities are self-sustaining and not reliant on AML core business activities.
The successful applicant will be required to undertake the under mentioned duties:
- Responsible for all aspects of facilitating, supporting, guiding, managing and training small community businesses/cooperatives across the project footprint.
- He/She will be a technical specialist providing advisory services whilst also responsible for implementing 5 small business projects in affected communities across the project;
- Implement a structured, yet flexible community bank and saving scheme for AML supported community cooperatives.
- Responsible for implementing a structured monitoring and evaluation framework that ensures empirical data can be extracted from the projects.
- Ensure compliance with relevant HSE policies, procedures, objectives and regulations and the commitment to achieving Zero Harm through safe behaviours.
- Ensure compliance with relevant HR policies, procedures, objectives and regulations through appropriate behaviours.
- Ability to work effectively in the field and in an office environment, coping well with remote guidance and management;
- Ability to provide leadership to junior members of staff;
- Ability to interact positively and responsibly with Project Affected people;
- Ability to liaise, communicate and negotiate effectively with all areas of AML including subcontractors;
- Ability to write complex reports and provide solutions and analysis for line manager;
- Ability to balance AML business interests with community views and to always act with the company’s interests;
- To always work to a high level of trust, teamwork, acute transparency, integrity and professionalism;
- MS Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Management, Finance or Accounting;
- Master’s degree in Development or related field advantageous.
- Previous Project management experience is essential;
- Over 10 years’ experience in small business training/support with banks/private companies/ consultancies, government bodies or Non- Governmental Organisations;
- Highly competent in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel);
- Previous experience managing budgets/cost controlling is essential;
- Experience with monitoring and evaluating frameworks is essential;
- Micro loan scheme experience is advantageous;
- Ability to speak Koranko would be advantageous but not essential;
Mode of Application
Qualified applicants should send their application letters with CVs and photocopies of qualifications to;
Applicants are required to send their CV and Cover Letter online to email@example.com (Marked ‘Attention: Port and Rail Operations Recruitment) or by post to the Recruitment Team, Port and Rail Operations, African Mineral (SL) Ltd, 154, Wilkinson Road, Freetown, or by hand delivery to the AML employment office at Pepel.
Only Shortlisted applicants will be contacted, and the successful applicant will be required for an immediate start.
© 2014, sierraexpressmedia.com. All rights reserved.