MMCET gets new Principal
The Ministry of Education Science and Technology has appoinmted Dr. Victor Ekudanyo Alexander Kabia as Principal of the Milton Margai College of Education and Technology (MMCET), replacing Dr. Dennis Kargbo who has been Principal of the clollege for over fifteen years. (Photo: Dr. Victor Ekudanyo Alexander Kabia: Principal MMCET)
Dr. Victor Alexander Ekundayo Kabia is a Sierra Leonean who is married to Brigadier Kestoria O. Kabia and the union is blessed with three children. He believes in the educational system of Sierra Leone and has served the country for over thirty years; first as a secondary school Teacher and later a Teacher Trainer to date. His guiding principles throughout have been: academic excellence and quality assurance.
Born at Gloucester Village in the Mountain Rural District of the Western Area of Sierra Leone, he started his education at the Gloucester Primary School and later the St. Edwards Primary School. Next, he entered the St. Edwards Secondary School before moving on to Milton Margai Teachers Coolge for his initial Teacher training. After obtaining the Higher Teachers Certificate (Secondary) Dr. Kabia started teaching at the Government Municipal Secondary School in Kissy, where he rose to the position of Senior Teacher.
In 1986 after completing a Masters degree programme at Njala university, he joined the staff of Milton Margai Teachers Coillege as a Lecturer where he progressed through the ranks to the position of Senior Principal Lecturer.
He has a vast level of experience especially in the areas of Education and Personnel Management; having spent most of his career in appointments at various levels as mentioned below:
- National Consultant: National Curriculum Framework for Basic Education (Ministry of Education Science and Technology & UNICEF)
- National Consultant – Capacity Assessment of Teacher Training Institutions UNESCO / MEST
- National Consultant /Focal Person: Cluster Monitoring of Schools (Ministry of Education Science and Technology & UNICEF)
- Member Board of Trustees Freetown Secondary School for Girls Freetown
- President Diocesan Men’s Union Anglican Diocese of Freetown
- Acting Principal Milton Margai College of Education & Technology (MMCET)
- Vice Principal & Director of Studies (MMCET)
- Head of Education Department (MMCET)
- External Examiner School of Education Njala University
- External Examiner Theological College
- Developing Curriculum materials for Bachelor of Science in Education programme
- Part Time Lecturer Department of Education FBC (USL)
- Member of the writing team :- A Model for Effective Teaching in JSS Schools Sierra Leone (Ministry of Education Science and Technology & UNICEF)
- Member: Monitoring Learning Achievements (MLA) Technical Committee Ministry of Education Science and Technology.
- Member: Rehabilitation of Basic Education Programme (REBEP) Ministry of Education Science and Technology.
- Member:- Survey on Teacher Training & Development Programmes in the Primary Sector of Education in Sierra Leone
- Consultant, Rapid Education Programme for Psychosocial Trauma Healing of War Victims (children and youths) by Plan International Freetown Sierra Leone. Took part in the raining of Trainers, the research and the final report on “The Psychosocial Assessment of Displaced Children Exposed to War Related Violence in Sierra Leone”.
- Member Board of Governors Lady Patricia Kabba Memorial Secondary School Goderich
- Chairman-Board of Governors St. Edward’s Secondary School Kingtom Freetown
- Chairman-Board of Governors SM Broderick Junior Secondary School Freetown
- Chairman-Board of Governors Wallace-Johnson Junior Secondary School Freetown
- Chairman-Board of Governors June-Holts Rones Junior Secondary School Freetown
- Member Board of Governors Government Model Secondary School, Berry Street, Freetown.
- Resource Person, Training of Social Workers; Institute of Public Administration and Management, University of Sierra Leone.
- Parish Representative to Synod; elected member of the Standing Committee and Lay Secretary of the Anglican Diocese of Freetown.
- Resource Person and member of the writing team for the production of text on Moral and Peace Education for the Council of Churches in Sierra Leone
- Past People’s Warden St. Andrew’s Church Gloucester; Diocese of Freetown.
- Staff Representative to College Council (MMCE)
- External Examiner in Education, Freetown Teachers College.
- Vice President, Senior Staff Association (MMCE)
- Member, Board of Governors Murray-Deen Preparatory School Freetown.
- Senior Staff Representative Academic Board (MMCE)
- ‘In-Service Training Programmes’ – Institute of Education University of Sierra Leone for Science and Social Studies Teachers.
- Member of the writing team which produced ‘Core Course Integrated Science’ text for Junior Secondary Schools in Sierra Leone.
- Resource Person for several years and a member of the writing team; producing materials for Adult Literacy Training Programmes organised by the Adult Literacy division of the Ministry of Education
Dr. Kabia holds a Doctor of Philosophy Degree in ‘Psychology of Education’ from the University of Sierra Leone; a Masters in ‘Psychology of Education’ (London University); Master of Education (University of Sierra Leone); a Bachelor of Arts in Education (University of Sierra Leone) and a Higher Teachers Certificate from (Milton Margai Teachers College). He has undertaken a Senior Management Training at the Institute of Public Administration and Management (IPAM) and also attended several Seminars and Workshops on Education both local and international. He has served as Acting Principal before, for over two years at MMCET. He is presently the Research Coordinator of MMCET and the National Coordinator of Educational Research for West and Central Africa (ERNWACA).
Stay with Sierra Express Media, for your trusted place in news!
© 2013, sierraexpressmedia.com. All rights reserved.